Ever get that feeling?
That feeling that you know you have something very good and interesting to write. You know it’s inside you somewhere, but you simply cannot find a way to begin writing it?
I know that I’ve got some kind of science-fiction story/novel/screenplay in me. I can feel the bare bones of it rattling around in my brain. I can sense it in there, but I just cannot form it into anything resembling anything.
I sometimes get phantom ideas about this sci-fi thing – – I’ll be sitting down having a cigarette, and suddenly out of nowhere, an idea will pop up into my brain-box, but I cannot grasp the idea if you get what I mean – the idea pops up and I don’t know what it even is! I could be schizophrenic or something, it’s like I have a separate mind doing its own thing up there!
I have been watching quite a bit of Doctor Who as it happens, and I can’t comprehend how the writers on that show come up with truly original episodes with such regularity! Amazing.
Anyway, the sci-fi story, I have this so far;
- Set in the future. Time travel may be a big theme/tricky to pull off but I’ll try.
- Humorous, dark and morbid.
- Lots of alien creatures of all shapes and sizes.
- Try to tackle themes like racism. sexism etc.
- Vast landscapes.
- Wars going on, between different races of alien/humans etc.
- The central characters will have very troubled pasts, addictions etc.
- Some kind of futuristic exploration, like a sci-fi version of what the Spanish conquistadores did, or Columbus etc.
- Trying not to rip-off Doctor Who or Star Wars or Star Trek basically!
Well, bye, yep.