This is just a rifling through of some ideas I’ve had for quite some time. The ideas are ramshackle and messy, so bear with me as I go through them. The ideas are regarding a science-fiction type novella/short story/possible graphic novel I may one day develop into something much more serious and fleshed out. So, uh……..*nods head*
The Big Things –
1. Obviously set in the future. I’ve swayed a lot in terms of how far into the future I want to set it. A couple of decades, or hundreds or thousands of years? I’m tending towards several decades to maybe a hundred or so years, because there definitely will be space travel and other planets and alien races. So, maybe setting it somewhere in the region of 100 to 300 years into the future will do it.
2. Sense of humor. I’ve always held in my head that whatever this project turns into, it will always have a sense of humor and good quality jokes and situations in it. Although it won’t be a proper comedy, it will need to have funny moments, and high quality, dark humor etc.
3. A real sense of the absurd. Think of films like The Fifth Element or The original Star Wars. Visually very absurd with lots a different weird looking aliens and technology strewn all over this project is my aim.
4. Vast, sprawling landscapes. Again inspired by Star Wars and even the Lord Of The Rings series. Huge, sweeping visuals that seem to go on forever.
The Little Things –
1. Characters. I haven’t put much thought into the characters. One thing I really don’t want is the typical hero and villain type of plot. I would like the characters to be more rogue-like and ambiguous in their motives.
2. Plot. Again, haven’t thought about this very much, but is is the most important part of it, I know. If I could, I’d like the plot to be reminiscent of old spy dramas like Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy or Mission Impossible. I don’t know if I have the skill to write a plot that is so complex and mysterious, but only time will tell.
3. Length. Now, I’m not sure whether this will be a short story or a novella type structure, or whether I will get carried away with it and turn it into a 3 part film script. Give me some feedback or whatever.
That is all I have right now. I just watched the film, Oblivion with Tom Cruise in it, and seeing that movie has rekindled my interest in this project I’ve had on the backburner for a long time. Any feedback or ideas you have for me will be cherished and wrapped up in cotton wool and kept safely hidden and revised and agonized over. Thanks. 😉